- without planning or thinking ahead
- She gave an offhand speech.
- careless; without sufficient thought or consideration
- He doesn't realise how hurtful his offhand remarks can be.
- curt, abrupt, unfriendly
- She was quite offhand with me yesterday.
without planning or thinking ahead
- right away, immediately, without thinking about it
- Offhand, I'd guess that that's a yellow-bellied sapsucker.
- 1854: William Makepeace Thackeray, The Rose and the Ring - We will have no more of this shilly-shallying! Call the Archbishop, and let the Prince and Princess be married offhand!
- in an offhand manner