See also: opinión
opinion (plural opinions)
- A belief that a person has formed about a topic or issue.
- I would like to know your opinions on the new systems.
- In my opinion, white chocolate is better than milk chocolate.
- Every man is a fool in some man's opinion.
- Truth, in matters of religion, is simply the opinion that has survived. - Oscar Wilde
- The judgment or sentiment which the mind forms of persons or things; estimation.
- I have bought golden opinions from all sorts of people.
- Friendship […] gives a man a peculiar right and claim to the good opinion of his friend.
- (obsolete) Favorable estimation; hence, consideration; reputation; fame; public sentiment or esteem.
- Thou hast redeemed thy lost opinion.
- This gained Agricola much opinion, who […] had made such early progress into laborious […] enterprises.
- (obsolete) Obstinacy in holding to one's belief or impression; opiniativeness; conceitedness.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Shakespeare to this entry?)
- The formal decision, or expression of views, of a judge, an umpire, a doctor, or other party officially called upon to consider and decide upon a matter or point submitted.
- (European Union law) a judicial opinion delivered by an Advocate General to the European Court of Justice where he or she proposes a legal solution to the cases for which the court is responsible
- advisory opinion
- be of the opinion
- in my humble opinion/IMHO
- in my opinion
- in one's opinion
- opinion poll
- public opinion
- scientific opinion
- second opinion
thought a person has formed about a topic
EU: Advocate General's judicial opinion delivered to the European Court of Justice
- (transitive, archaic) To have or express as an opinion.
- 1658, But if (as some opinion) King Ahasuerus were Artaxerxes Mnemon [...], our magnified Cyrus was his second Brother — Sir Thomas Browne, The Graden of Cyrus (Folio Society 2007, p. 166)
have or express as an opinion
opinion f (plural opinions)
- opinion (thought, estimation)
Read in another language
This page is available in 43 languages