- (RP) IPA(key): /ˌəʊvəˈwɛlm/
- (US) IPA(key): /ˌoʊvɚˈwɛlm/
- (Scotland) IPA(key): /ˌovɚˈʍɛlm/
- Rhymes: -ɛlm
- To engulf, surge over and submerge.
- The dinghy was overwhelmed by the great wave.
- To overpower, crush.
- In December 1939 the Soviet Union attacked Finland with overwhelming force.
- Bible, Psalms lxxviii. 53
- The sea overwhelmed their enemies.
- To overpower emotionally.
- He was overwhelmed with guilt.
- Joy overwhelmed her when she realized that she had won a million dollars.
- To cause to surround, to cover.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Papin to this entry?)
to overpower, crush
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked