- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈpɛpə/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈpɛpɚ/
Audio (UK) (file)
- Rhymes: -ɛpə(ɹ)
- A plant of the family Piperaceae.
- (uncountable) A spice prepared from the fermented, dried, unripe red berries of this plant.
- A fruit of the capsicum: red, green, yellow or white, hollow and containing seeds, and in very spicy and mild varieties.
- (baseball) A game used by baseball players to warm up where fielders standing close to a batter rapidly return the batted ball to be hit again
- Some ballparks have signs saying "No pepper games".
- (fruit of the capsicum):
- bell pepper
- chili pepper
- green pepper
- hot pepper
- pepper spray
- red pepper
- sweet pepper
- tabasco pepper
- white pepper
fruit of the capsicum
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
- (transitive) To add pepper to.
- (transitive) To strike with something made up of small particles.
- (transitive) To cover with lots of (something made up of small things).
- After the hailstorm, the beach was peppered with holes.
- (transitive) To add (something) at frequent intervals.
- He liked to pepper his conversation with long words.
add pepper to
strike with small particles