- Continuing in a course of action without regard to discouragement, opposition or previous failure.
- Persistent determination to adhere to a plan of direction; insistence.
- 2004, Chris Wallace, Character: Profiles in Presidential Courage
- It had taken nine years from the evening that Truman first showed up with a pie plate at her mother's door, but his dogged perseverance eventually won him the hand of his boyhood Sunday school crush.
persistent determination to adhere to a course of action; insistence
- Arabic: مثابرة (ar) (muθābara) f
- Mandarin: 恆心 (cmn), 恒心 (cmn) (héngxīn), 毅力 (cmn) (yìlì)
- Dutch: volharding (nl) f, vasthoudendheid (nl) f
- Finnish: hellittämättömyys (fi), itsepintaisuus (fi), peräänantamattomuus (fi), määrätietoisuus (fi)
- French: persévérance (fr) f
- German: Beharrlichkeit (de) f, Ausdauer (de) f
- Hungarian: állhatatosság (hu), kitartás (hu)
- Icelandic: þrautseigja (is) f, þolgæði (is) n, harðfylgi (is) n
- Irish: buanseasmhacht (ga) f
- Italian: perseveranza (it) f