- Fraudulent; fake; having a misleading appearance.
- A good jeweler should be able to tell a real stone from a phony one.
phony (plural phonies)
- A person who assumes an identity or quality other than their own.
- He claims to be a doctor, but he's nothing but a fast-talking phony.
- A person who professes beliefs or opinions that they do not hold.
- He's such a phony, he doesn't believe half of what he says.
- phony up, phoney up
- Phony War, Phoeny War
A person who assumes an identity or quality other than their own
A person who professes beliefs or opinions that they do not hold
faker (to be sorted)
Read in another language
This page is available in 14 languages