Shortening of various words.
poly (plural polys)
- polyethylene (polythene)
- (chiefly computer graphics) polygon
- (uncountable) polyester
- a cotton-poly blend
- (chiefly informal) polyamory
- (chiefly informal) A polyamorous person.
poly (not comparable)
- (Can we verify(+) this sense?) Made of polyethylene (polythene).
- a poly bag
- (chiefly informal) polyamorous
Latin polium, the name of a plant, perhaps Teucrium polium.
- The name, with various prefixes, is sometimes given to other related species of the same genus.
Part or all of this entry has been imported from the 1913 edition of Webster’s Dictionary, which is now free of copyright and hence in the public domain. The imported definitions may be significantly out of date, and any more recent senses may be completely missing.
Read in another language
This page is available in 7 languages