postil (plural postils)
- (archaic) A Bible commentary written in its margins.
- A marginal note.
- A short homily or commentary on a passage of Scripture.
- A collection of homilies.
collection of homilies
postil (third-person singular simple present postils, present participle postiling or postilling, simple past and past participle postiled or postilled)
- (transitive) To write marginal or explanatory notes on; to gloss.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Francis Bacon to this entry?)
- (intransitive) To write postils, or marginal notes; to comment; to postillate.