- (GenAm) IPA(key): /pɹəˈmɪɚ/, /pɹɪ-/, /-ˈmiɚ/
- (UK) IPA(key): /ˈpɹɛmjɛə/
- Homophone: premier (in some US pronunciations, not in UK pronunciation)
premiere (plural premieres)
- The first showing of a film, play or other form of entertainment, often held as a special event with celebrity guests.
- The first episode of a television show or a particular season of that show.
- In a series of narrative works, the installment that is chronologically set first.
first showing of a film, play or other form of entertainment
- (intransitive) Of a film or play, to play for the first time.
- The new film premieres this weekend.
- (transitive) To present a film or play for the first time.
- The local theatre will premiere its latest play this week.
(intransitive) of a film or play, to play for the first time
(transitive) to present a film or play for the first time
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Read in another language
This page is available in 12 languages