- Belonging to, concerning, or accessible only to an individual person or a specific group.
- Her address is private, you can't have it.
- Not in governmental office or employment.
- He quit public life, living quietly as a private citizen.
- Not publicly known; not open; secret.
- The identity of the beneficiaries of the trust is private.
- Protected from view or disturbance by others; secluded.
- Can we go someplace more private?
- Intended only for the use of an individual, group, or organization.
- private papers
- Not accessible by the public.
- private property.
- Not traded by the public.
- private corporation.
- Secretive; reserved.
- He is a very private person.
- (US, of a room in a medical facility) Not shared with another patient.
- (Can we verify(+) this sense?) Pertaining to the genitalia.
- private parts.
- (done in the view of others): secluded
- (intended only for one's own use): personal
- (not accessible by the public):
not done in the view of others
intended only for one's own use
not accessible by the public
private (plural privates)
- The lowest rank of the army.
- A soldier of the rank of private.
- (in plural privates) A euphemistic term for the genitals.
euphemisms for genitals
Terms derived from the adjective or noun private
- feminine form of privato
- feminine plural past participle of privare
- second-person plural indicative present of privare
- second-person plural imperative of privare
Read in another language
This page is available in 41 languages