- (transitive) To direct the attention of.
- The shop assistant referred me to the help desk on ground floor.
- (transitive) To submit to (another person or group) for consideration; to send or direct elsewhere.
- He referred the matter to the principal.
- to refer a patient to a psychiatrist
- (transitive) To place in or under by a mental or rational process; to assign to, as a class, a cause, source, a motive, reason, or ground of explanation.
- He referred the phenomena to electrical disturbances.
- (intransitive, construed with to) To allude to, make a reference or allusion to.
Category English words derived from: refer not found
- refer to
- refer someone to
- Category:English words containing but not directly derived from: refer
to direct to a source for help or information
to direct the attention of
to allude to
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Read in another language
This page is available in 27 languages