- restauranteur (but see usage note)
restaurateur (plural restaurateurs)
- The owner of a restaurant.
This is also spelled restauranteur (with an ‘n’), but this is considered erroneous by some, and the form restaurateur (without the ‘n’) is preferred in formal writing, and especially in the United Kingdom.
The form restaurateur (without the ‘n’) is the earlier form, borrowed from French, while the form restauranteur (with an ‘n’) = restaurant + -eur (“(agent) one who”) is a later formation, from Anglicized forms, and thus seen by some as an etymological error.
- ^ restaurateur, restauranteur (nn.), Kenneth G. Wilson, The Columbia Guide to Standard American English, 1993
- ^ See for instance Me and my travels: Raymond Blanc, restauranteur, in The Guardian and The Observer, 2008–10–12
- restorer (of a work of art)
- restaurateur, restaurant owner
Read in another language
This page is available in 13 languages