- Rhymes: -ʊki
rookie (plural rookies)
- An inexperienced recruit, especially in the police or armed forces.
- A novice.
- An athlete either new to the sport or to a team or in his first year of professional competition, especially said of baseball, basketball, hockey and American football players.
- (UK) A type of firecracker, used by farmers to scare rooks.
an inexperienced recruit
rookie (not comparable)
- non-professional; amateur
- The game was going well until I made that rookie mistake.
amateur — see amateur
Read in another language
This page is available in 13 languages