- In a sad manner; sorrowfully.
- Unfortunately, sad to say.
- If you think you’re getting out of this place alive, you are sadly mistaken, my friend.
- Sadly, the two were never to meet again.
2012 April 15, Phil McNulty, “Tottenham 1-5 Chelsea”, BBC:
- Before kick-off, a section of Chelsea's support sadly let themselves and their club down by noisily interrupting the silence held in memory of the Hillsborough disaster and for Livorno midfielder Piermario Morosini, who collapsed and died after suffering a heart attack during a Serie B game on Saturday.
- (obsolete) Deeply, completely.
- (in a sad manner): sorrowfully, ruefully, mournfully, regretfully (various terms for particular shades of sadness)
- (unfortunately): unfortunately, sad to say, regrettably, regretfully, alas
in a sad manner
unfortunately — see unfortunately