- Rhymes: -ɜː(ɹ)f
- A skin disease.
- The flakes of skin that fall off as a result of a skin disease.
- Any crust-like formations on the skin, or in general.
- There stood a hill not far, whose grisly top / Belched fire and rolling smoke; the rest entire / Shone with a glossy scurf.
- (figuratively) The foul remains of anything adherent.
- The scurf is worn away of each committed crime.
- (botany) Minute membranous scales on the surface of some leaves, as in the goosefoot.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Gray to this entry?)
Read in another language
This page is available in 13 languages