set up shop
- To physically arrange a shop or workplace.
- He set up shop in his garage every Saturday.
- (idiomatic) To establish a business.
- They set up shop as venture capitalists on Sand Hill Road.
- 2012 June 3, Nathan Rabin, “TV: Review: THE SIMPSONS (CLASSIC): “Mr. Plow” (season 4, episode 9; originally aired 11/19/1992)”:
- Homer’s entrepreneurial spirit proves altogether overly infectious. Homer gives Barney a pep talk when he encounters him dressed up like a baby handing out fliers (Barney in humiliating costumes=always funny) and it isn’t long until Barney has purchased a truck of his own and set up shop as the Plow King.
- 2010 September, Derek Rapp, "Good Company", St. Louis magazine, ISSN 1090-5723, volume 16, issue 9, page 80:
- […] these companies could enjoy support required to set up shop for the long term.
Read in another language
This page is available in 1 language