snakes and ladders
snakes and ladders (snakes and ladders)
- A children's luck-based board game played on a numbered grid, the aim of which is to proceed to the end, and in which ladders aid progress and snakes impede it.
- (idiomatic, figuratively) any situation in which people or events go forward and backward, seemingly at random
- 1970, New Scientist, Volume 45, Issues 682-694, page 493,
- Teachers, senior teachers, and principal teachers would have built-in status and the scales would offer well-defined career prospects instead of the ambiguous and often misleading snakes-and-ladders situation which at present exists.
- 1983, Opera, Volume 34, Issues 7-12, page 1295,
- His Mireille has had a snakes-and-ladders career, starting up, going down, then finally rising once more.
- 2009, Kathryn Bonella, Hotel Kerobokan: The Shocking Inside Story of Bali's Most Notorious Jail,
- But his snakes and ladders career would soon take its biggest hit.
Last modified on 10 February 2013, at 08:55