Last modified on 30 March 2014, at 02:10
- snipe + hunt
- Based on the snipe, a family of shorebirds that are notoriously difficult to hunt.
snipe hunt (plural snipe hunts)
- (idiomatic) A prank in which a gullible victim is sent off on a fruitless search for a nonexistent item.
- 2012 December 13, Lucy Liu as Watson, “The Leviathan”, Elementary season 1 episode 10:
- And you asked Charles Briggs for the name of the man who bought the secret, and he gives you a legend. A man who might not even exist. You know what, this is a snipe hunt.
- Russian: пойди туда, не знаю куда, принеси то, не знаю что (poidi tudá ne znau kudá, prinesi tó ne znáu shtó)
snipe hunt (third-person singular simple present snipe hunts, present participle snipe hunting, simple past and past participle snipe hunted)
- (intransitive) To participate, as the gullible victim, in a snipe hunt.