- (noun) From Middle Dutch or Middle Low German stripe.
- (verb) From the first one. (cf Dutch strippen)
stripe (plural stripes)
- A long, straight region of a single colour.
- (in the plural) The badge worn by certain officers in the military or other forces.
- A long narrow mark left by striking with a lash or rod; by extension, such a stroke.
long straight region of a one colour
- (transitive) To mark with stripes.
- (transitive, computing) To distribute data across several separate physical disks to reduce the time to read and write.
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
- French: rayer
- stripe in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913
- stripe in The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911
- stripe at OneLook Dictionary Search