Last modified on 20 June 2013, at 01:30
switch-hitter (plural switch-hitters)
- (baseball, cricket) A person who can bat either as a right-hander or a left-hander.
- 1961, National Association of Basketball Coaches of the United States, American Football Coaches Association, Athletic Journal, Volume 46 Page 23
- The average ball player can become an effective switch hitter only if he has switched hit from the time he commenced playing.
- (idiomatic, colloquial, sexuality) A person who engages in sex with persons both male and female.
- 1983, Edmund White, States of Desire: Travels in Gay America, Page 218
- I met this fat, balding, bisexual 'switch-hitter'— that was his word, 'switch-hitter'— and he was my first experience."
- (person who bats right- and left-handed) ambidextrous hitter
- (person who has sex with both males and females) bisexual
- Oxford English Dictionary, 2nd ed., 1989.