See also: Text
- A writing consisting of multiple glyphs, characters, symbols or sentences.
- A book, tome or other set of writings.
- (colloquial) A brief written message transmitted between mobile phones; an SMS text message.
- (computing) Data which can be interpreted as human-readable text (often contrasted with binary data).
- A verse or passage of Scripture, especially one chosen as the subject of a sermon, or in proof of a doctrine.
- Hence, anything chosen as the subject of an argument, literary composition, etc.; topic; theme.
- A style of writing in large characters; text-hand; also, a kind of type used in printing.
- German text
terms derived from text
a written passage
a book, tome or other set of writings
a brief written message transmitted between mobile phones
- (transitive) To send a text message to; i.e. to transmit text using the Short Message Service (SMS), or a similar service, between communications devices, particularly mobile phones.
- Just text me when you get here.
- (transitive) To send (a message) to someone by SMS.
- I'll text the address to you as soon as I find it.
- (intransitive) To send and receive text messages.
- Have you been texting all afternoon?
- To write in large characters, as in text hand.
1607-21, Phillip Massinger, Beaumont and Fletcher, The Tragedy of Thierry and Theodoret, Act 2, Scene 1:
- I wish / (Next to my part of Heav'n) that she would spend / The last part of her life so here, that all / Indifferent judges might condemn me for / A most malicious slanderer, nay, text it / Upon my forehead
2009, Lain Fenlon, Early Music History: Studies in Medieval and Early Modern Music, Music, Cambridge University Press, ISBN 9780521746540, page p. 223:
- The basic plan is simple. For the first two phrases the texted line is above the untexted; for the next two, bring us to the midpoint cadence, the texted line is for the most part lower; and the in the second half the texted material starts lower, moves into the upper position and finally occupies the bottom range again.
send a text message to
- a text
- text knihy — the text of the book
- text písně — lyrics
- text smlouvy — the text of the contract
text ? m