tractor out (third-person singular simple present tractors out, present participle tractoring out, simple past and past participle tractored out)
Last modified on 22 November 2008, at 21:40
- (transitive) (1930s) To dismiss (a tenant, etc.) while replacing manual labour with tractors.
- 1965, Oscar Cargill, Toward a Pluralistic Criticism
- How is one to elucidate or scrutinize Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath with no reference to the Dust Bowl, the tractoring out of the Okies...
- 1973, Lucas Webb, Stribling: A Novel
- But there was no place to go to farm or settle; the farms were being deserted, the big combines tractoring out the shacks and the little fields...