- IPA(key): [(ʔ)ʌ̃˨ˈɦʌ̃˦], [(ʔ)ʌ̃˨ˈhʌ̃˦]
- Both syllables are nasalized. The second syllable has a higher tone.
Audio (US) (file)
- yes; yeah
- 1914: Sinclair Lewis, Our Mr. Wrenn - "So? Lived there long?" "Uh-huh, I--" began Mr. Wrenn.
- "Uh-huh" can be used informally as an answer to a question.
- "Uh-huh" is often said while someone else is talking, in order to show that the listener is still interested or agrees with what the speaker is saying.
- "Uh-huh" can serve as an informal reply to thanks or an expression of gratitude.