- enPR: wĭst, IPA(key): /wɪst/ or enPR: hwĭst, IPA(key): /ʍɪst/ (in Scottish English and some English accents)
- Rhymes: -ɪst
whist (plural whists)
- (transitive) To hush or silence; to still.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Spenser to this entry?)
- (intransitive) To become silent.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Surrey to this entry?)
- Alternative spelling of whisht. Silence! Quiet! Hush! Shhh!
1860, anonymous, Heroes and Hunters of the West, edition HTML, The Gutenberg Project, published 2008:
- … for scarcely had they descended one hundred feet, when a low “whist” from the girl, warned them of present danger.
whist m (uncountable)
- "whist" in le Trésor de la langue française informatisé (The Digitized Treasury of the French Language).