(Redirected from ˆ◌)
- (IPA) a falling floating tone.
- (IPA, obsolete) a peaking (rising–falling) tone.
- (when contrasted with ꞈ) a high peaking tone.
- (IPA, ad hoc, dated) the compound tone (tone 2 a.k.a. grave accent) in Swedish and Norwegian.
(obsolete IPA): The mark is placed before the word or syllable that bears the tone. This use of the symbol has effectively been replaced by Chao tone letters and tone diacritics.
(Scandinavian): Illustrated in the 1921 IPA guide. It is one of several ad hoc symbols that have been used, as the IPA has no single symbol to mark this tone.
- mid glottalized tone.
- high checked (glottalized) tone.