Cognate with Ugaritic bhmt; Arabic بَهِيمَة (bahīma); Aethiopian [script needed] (baham, “to be dumb”).
בְּהֵמָה • (behemá) f (plural indefinite בהמות) [pattern: קְטֵלָה]
- dumb beast
- (Biblical Hebrew) quadruped domestic animals, esp. of a horned species
- (Biblical Hebrew) cattle, large or small (e.g. cows or sheep)
- beast, a person who behaves in an uncivilized manner
- Jastrow, Marcus (1903) A Dictionary of the Targumim, the Talmud Babli and Yerushalmi, and the Midrashic Literature, London, New York: Luzac & Co., G.P. Putnam's Sons
- H929 in Strong’s Exhaustive Concordance to the Bible.
- Koehler, Ludwig; Walter, Baumgartner (1994–2000) The Hebrew and Aramaic Lexicon of the Old Testament, Leiden: Brill