From Proto-Indo-Aryan *gaśćáti, from Proto-Indo-Iranian *gasĉáti, from Proto-Indo-European *gʷm̥sḱéti, a present tense formation of the root *gʷem-. Cognates include Avestan 𐬘𐬀𐬨𐬀𐬌𐬙𐬌 (jamaiti), Latin veniō, Ancient Greek βαίνω (baínō), Old English cuman (English come).
(Vedic) IPA(key): /ɡɐ́t.t͡ɕʰɐ.t̪i/, [ɡɐ́t̚.t͡ɕʰɐ.t̪i]
(Classical) IPA(key): /ˈɡɐt.t͡ɕʰɐ.t̪i/, [ˈɡɐt̚.t͡ɕʰɐ.t̪i]
गच्छति • (gácchati) (root गम्, class 1, type parasmaipada)
- to go, move, go away, set out, come
अप्राप्य योगसंसिद्धिं कां गतिं कृष्ण गच्छति॥
- aprāpya yogasaṃsiddhiṃ kāṃ gatiṃ kṛṣṇa gacchati.
- If he hasn't attained perfection in yoga, Krishna, on what path does he go?
- to go to or towards, approach
- to go or pass (time)
- to fall to the share of
- to go against with hostile intentions, attack
- to decease, die
- to approach carnally, have sexual intercourse with
- to go to any state or condition, undergo, partake of, participate in, receive, obtain