one; single; a; (before verbs) as soon as, once; (before a noun) entire (family, etc.)
roots or stems of plants; origin; source; this; the current; root; foundation; basis; (a measure word)
|simp. and trad.
- another version (terminology in collation)
- Used other than with a figurative or idiomatic meaning: see 一, 本.
- (Mainland China) the first tier of universities
|Kanji in this term|
|Grade: 1||Grade: 1|
- one (of something similar to a stick: a beer bottle, a wooden staff, a branch, a flower with stalk, a needle, etc.)
- winning in one blow (一本勝ち)
- (judo) Ippon, a full point. Ippon is the most valuable judgement that can be awarded for a single action; compare waza-ari, yuko, koka.