|middle; center||flowery; flourishing; magnificent|
So named because the first ancient Chinese settlements were around the Yellow River, which was considered to be the center, and because the culture was considered to be magnificent and flourishing.
- (formal, poetic, exalted) China (the nation of the Chinese people)
- (～里) An urban village in Songshan, Taipei, Taiwan.
Although also used in the formal names of both the Republic and People's Republic of China, the term carries a somewhat broader sense than 中國／中国 (Zhōngguó, “state of China”) and connotes something like the "nation of the Chinese people" or "land of the Chinese culture".
|Kanji in this term|
- (usually in compounds) China, Chinese (adjective)
- abbreviation of 中華料理 (chūka ryōri, “Chinese cuisine”)
- 中華料理 (chūka ryōri): Chinese cuisine
- 中華饅頭 (chūka manjū): Chinese steamed bun; humbow
- 中華革命党 (Chūka Kakumeitō): Chinese Revolutionary Party
- 中華人民共和国 (Chūka Jinmin Kyōwakoku): People's Republic of China
- 中華鍋 (chūka nabe): wok
- 中華街 (chūkagai): Chinatown
|Hanja in this term|