|Characters in the same phonetic series (學) (Zhengzhang, 2003)
||*ɡruːʔ, *sɡruːɡ, *ɡruːɡ
||*kʰruːɡ, *ɡ·rɯːɡ, *ɡoːɡ, *ɡuːɡ
||*ŋɡruːɡ, *ɡruːɡ, *quːɡ
Ancient forms: 斆, 斅. The former is constructed from the skeleton of 敎／教 (“to teach”) with the addition of two extra components: 1) a 𦥑 component around the top-left 爻 part, signifying hands (hands-on learning); 2) a 冖 (“cover”) over 子 (“child”), representing the cover of a building or school, i.e. the child learns in a roofed place. Shuowen regards 𦥑 as the phonetic component in the character, which may be true according to some Old Chinese reconstructions such as that of Pan Wuyun's, though probably not others. See 教 for more.
May be an endopassive derivation of 覺 (OC *kruːɡs, *kruːɡ, “to awake, get insight”).
- xué - major reading (colloquial and literary);
- xiáo - rare, very colloquial or dialectal, used in xiangsheng.
- ŏ̤h - vernacular;
- hŏk - literary.
- o̍h - vernacular;
- ha̍k - literary.
- oh8 - vernacular;
- hag8 - literary.
- 5hhoq - vernacular;
- 5hhiaq - literary.
- † to comprehend; to realise; to understand
- to learn; to study
― to study; to learn
― Wǒ dǎsuàn xué shèyǐng.
― I plan to learn
- to imitate; to copy; to mimic
― Yīngwǔ xué rén yǔ.
― Parrots imitate
- learning; knowledge
- theory; doctrine
- subject; branch of learning; science; -ology
- 學習／学习 (xuéxí, “to study, to learn”)
- 讀書／读书 (dúshū, “to study”)
- 念書／念书 (niànshū, “(colloquial) to study”)