See also: Appendix:Variations of "es"
- (Valencia) -ese; Used to form an adjective with the meaning of “pertinent thereto”.
- (Valencia) -ese; Used to form a noun with the meaning of “an inhabitant thereof”.
- (Valencia) m -ese; Used to form a proper noun with the meaning of “the language used by the inhabitants thereof”.
- Unlike English, where the capitalization of the proper noun is retained when a suffix is added, in Catalan, when this suffix is used with a place name, the capitalization is dropped, even when forming a language name that is itself a proper noun. Hence Irlanda (“Ireland”) + -és yields irlandés not *Irlandés.
Category Catalan words suffixed with -és not found
- Added to a verb to form a noun.
- Member of the following suffix cluster:
- -ás is added to back vowel words
- -és is added to front vowel words
- See detailed usage notes under -ás.
- Forms nouns and adjectives of nationality:
Read in another language
This page is available in 4 languages