- A Thracian town known for the foolishness of its inhabitants.
- Abdera (A Thracian town known for its inhabitants' foolishness)
- (figuratively, by extension) Chelm, cloud-cuckoo-land
This can be declined in two various fashions.
|Second declension, with locative.
|First declension, with locative.
- “Abdera” in Charlton T. Lewis & Charles Short, A Latin Dictionary, Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1879.
- “Abdera” in Félix Gaffiot (1934), Dictionnaire Illustré Latin-Français, Paris: Hachette.
Abdera in D. P. Simpson, Cassell's Latin Dictionary, Wiley Publishing, 1968