Originally a root noun or an s-stem derived from *h₂ew- (“to see”) with a semantic shift to "to hear" after the split of Anatolian branch.
*h₂ṓws (oblique stem *h₂éws-)
This entry needs an inflection-table template.
- Acrostatic singular, amphikinetic plural
- Nominative: *h₂óws-s > *h₂ṓws
- Genitive: *h₂éws-s > *h₂ḗws, or *h₂usós
- Dual: *h₂(e)usih₁
- Collective plural: *h₂éw(s)ōs, genitive *h₂u(s)-s-és
- Albanian: vesh
- Balto-Slavic: *auš-
- Germanic: *ausô (see there for further descendants)