The community in Prince Edward Island is named after the county in England. The name was inspired by nearby Wiltshire.
- IPA(key): /ˈhæmpʃɪə(ɹ)/, /ˈhæmpʃə(ɹ)/
Audio (UK) (file)
- Hyphenation: Hamp‧shire
- Rhymes: -æmpʃɪə(ɹ), -æmpʃə(ɹ)
Proper noun Edit
- A maritime county in the south of England bordered by Berkshire, Surrey, West Sussex, Dorset, Wiltshire, the English Channel and the Solent separating it from the Isle of Wight; the county town is Winchester.
- A community and rural municipality in Queens County, Prince Edward Island, Canada.
- A surname.
Derived terms Edit
county in the south of England
Hampshire (plural Hampshires)
- A pig of a domestic breed characterized by erect ears, a black body, and a white band around the middle, covering the front legs.