House of Commons
See also: house of commons
“House”, in this term, means a deliberative assembly, while “the Commons” stands for “the common people”, as opposed to nobility.
Audio (AU) (file)
- (UK politics) The lower house of the British Parliament; a session of the house.
- 1842, William Chambers & al., Chambers's Information for the People, page 178:
- Reckoning from 1802 till November 15, 1837, there were thirteen Houses of Commons
- (Canada, politics) The lower house of the Canadian Parliament.
- Commons; Commons House (uncommon)
lower house in UK or Canadian parliament
House of Commons (plural Houses of Commons)
- (Canada slang, humorous euphemistic) An outhouse: an outbuilding used as a lavatory.
- commons, common house; see also Thesaurus:bathroom