From Malagasy malagasy, connected to "Mālāī-Jezīra", island of Malais. Compare English Madagascar, which by folk etymology comes from Marco Polo's misreading of Mogadishu whereas it should be Arabic جَزِيرَة المَالَائِيّ (jazīrat al-mālāʔiyy, “The Island of Mālāī”).
- IPA(key): /ˌmæləˈɡæsi/, /mæləˈɡeɪzi/
Malagasy (countable and uncountable, plural Malagasy or Malagasies)
- (countable) A person from Madagascar or of Malagasy descent.
- (uncountable) The languages of Madagascar or of the Malagasy people, when considered to be one language.
- (in particular) The chief lect of this language or language group.
the language of the Malagasy, when considered one language
Translations to be checked
Malagasy (not comparable)
- Of, from, or pertaining to Madagascar.
- Of or pertaining to the Malagasy people.
- Of, pertaining to or in the Malagasy language.