- (UK) IPA(key): /ˌpɹəʊ̯təʊ̯ˌɪndə(ʊ̯)ˌjʊə̯ɹəˈpiːən/, /-ˌjɔːɹəˈ-/, (US) IPA(key): /ˌpɹoʊ̯toʊ̯ˌɪndoʊ̯ˌjʊɹəˈpi.ən/
Audio (US) (file)
- (linguistics, uncountable) The reconstructed ancestor language or protolanguage of the Indo-European family of languages, which includes most European, Iranian, and Indian languages.
ancestor language of most European and Indian languages
person who spoke the Proto-Indo-European language
Proto-Indo-European (not comparable)
- (linguistics, anthropology) Of or pertaining to the Proto-Indo-European language, or the people who spoke it.
pertaining to the Proto-Indo-European language, or the people who spoke it — See also translations at Indo-European
Proto-Indo-European is the hypothetical ancestor language of many languages, including the following major groups:
- Wiktionary’s coverage of Proto-Indo-European terms
- Appendix:Proto-Indo-European Swadesh list for a Swadesh list of basic vocabulary words in Proto-Indo-European
- ^ Wells, John C. Longman Pronunciation Dictionary, 3rd ed. Longman, 2008. isbn 9781405881180.