Hello, welcome to Wiktionary, and thank you for your contribution so far. Here are a few good links for newcomers:
- How to edit a page is a concise list of technical guidelines to the wiki format we use here: how to, for example, make text boldfaced or create hyperlinks. Feel free to practice in the sandbox. If you would like a slower introduction we have a short tutorial.
- Entry layout explained (ELE) is a detailed policy documenting how Wiktionary pages should be formatted. All entries should conform to this standard, the easiest way to do this is to copy exactly an existing page for a similar word.
- Our Criteria for inclusion (CFI) define exactly which words Wiktionary is interested in including, there is also a list of things that Wiktionary is not for a higher level overview.
- The FAQ aims to answer most of your remaining questions, and there are several help pages that you can browse for more information.
- We have discussion rooms in which you can ask any question about Wiktionary or its entries, a glossary of our technical jargon, and some hints for dealing with the more common communication issues.
I hope you enjoy editing here and being a Wiktionarian! If you have any questions, bring them to the Wiktionary:Information desk, or ask me on my talk page. If you do so, please sign your posts with four tildes: ~~~~ which automatically produces your username and the current date and time.
Improving glossses edit
- Thank you for asking! e.g. Trying to add Turkish translations for grasp, I can't add the translation for to grip, that error message shows up. However, I was able to add the translation for to understand with no problems (btw both translations are the same). Unfortunately this isn't a single case; I've come across about 10 of these among 300-400 entries.--Ailurophile 01:33, 30 August 2009 (UTC)
- I could only have solved the problem if it were an easy one. I duplicated the problem you had with my FF3.5 set up. I also just added the translation manually. I don't remember whether it was User:Conrad.Irwin or User:Robert Ullmann who created that feature, but they are the two most likely to be able to help. DCDuring TALK 02:52, 30 August 2009 (UTC)
- OK, thanks.
Hello there. I was wondering if you had time to look at that article; there is a point on the Talk page that I was wondering if you could help out with. If you could check Turkish newspaper sites to verify that point, it would be very helpful. Thanks, NuclearWarfare 01:54, 24 September 2009 (UTC)