a life of its own
- (idiomatic) An independent existence with some characteristics of life.
- 1996, George Steiner, Tolstoy or Dostoevsky: An Essay in the Old Criticism, page 181:
- Sartre rejects the notion that an imagined character possesses, in any rational sense, "a life of its own".
- 2002, John Seely Brown, Paul Duguid, The Social Life of Information, page 18
- […], information takes on not only a speed of its own, but a life of its own.
- 2003, Kristin Hunter Lattany, The Lakestown Rebellion, page 185:
- A massive hangover with a life of its own kept Fess pinned to his bed most of Sunday.