adelgid (plural adelgids)
- An insect of the genus Adelges.
- 1939, Samuel Alexander Graham, Principles of Forest Entomology, page 315:
- For this reason, it is important that adelgid-free planting stock be used.
- 2003, Timothy Silver, Mount Mitchell and the Black Mountains, page 238:
- Since the adelgid did not attack red spruce or hardwoods, its impact on the timber industry would be minimal.
- 2004, Geoffrey A. Hammerson, Connecticut Wildlife, page 232:
- Severe winter cold helps reduce adelgid populations and slow their spread, so the recent trend toward relatively mild winters is actually facilitating the adelgid onslaught.