- From an external source; not innate or inherent, foreign.
- Accidental, additional, appearing casually.
- 2002, Colin Jones, The Great Nation, Penguin, published 2003, page 30:
- The adventitious disappearance of those nearer the throne than the duke had, moreover, set tongues awagging.
- (genetics, medicine) Not congenital; acquired.
- Synonym: acquired
- (biology) Developing in an unusual place or from an unusual source.
- Coordinate term: ectopic
- 1985, R. M. T. Dahlgren, H. T. Clifford, P. F. Yeo, The Families of the Monocotyledons, page 101:
- The Velloziaceae have evolved a woody stem which is covered with a layer of adventitious roots mingled with the fibres of the old leaf sheaths;
Derived terms edit
Related terms edit
from an external source
accidental, additional, appearing casually
genetics, medicine: not congenital
biology: developing in an unusual place or from an unusual source
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout § Translations.