- (General American) IPA(key): /ædˈvɝ.sɪ.ti/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ædˈvɜː.sɪ.ti/
English (US) (file) Audio (AU) (file)
- Hyphenation: ad‧ver‧si‧ty
- (uncountable) The state of adverse conditions; state of misfortune or calamity.
- 1998, Karel Montor, et al, “Directing and Coordinating Operations”, in Karel Montor, editor, Naval Leadership: Voices of Experience, 2nd edition edition, Naval Institute Press, →ISBN, Efficient and Professional Conduct, page 278:
- These are the people who will overcome the adversity, chaos, and destruction of combat and defeat the enemy in war.
- (countable) An event that is adverse; calamity.
- 1859 September, “The Great Earl of Cork”, in The Dublin University Magazine: A Literary and Political Journal, volume LIV, Alex Thom & Sons, page 326:
- Having “secret notice,” the writer of “True Remembrances” declares of the above complains, he retired into Munster, intending to proceed to England, to justify himself; but was detained there for want of money by the breaking out of rebellion. This adversity befell him in the autumn of 1598.
- 1977, Genevieve Burton, “Family Adversity and the Nurse”, in Interpersonal Relations: A Guide for Nurses, Fourth edition edition, Routledge, published 1979, →ISBN, page 101:
- Every family is struck by adversity at one time or another. No matter how mature the patients are, regardless of the care an advantages they give their children, despite a desirable interactive love between family members, adversity will attack any family
- 2006, Elizabeth Wissner-Gross, “Getting Your Kid off the Waiting List and into the School of His or Her Dreams”, in What Colleges Don't Tell You (and Other Parents Don't Want You to Know: 272 Secrets for Getting Your Kid Into the Top Schools, Plume, published 2007, →ISBN, page 272:
- Make sure that your child’s adversity is really an adversity. Not having parents who can buy a new car upon your son’s sixteenth birthday is not an adversity. Being the only girl on the block who doesn’t own a designed handbag is not an adversity
- (adverse event): fortuity
state of being adverse