- (takes a reflexive pronoun or intransitive (rare)) to kneel (to stoop down and rest on one’s knees)
- Os súditos se ajoelharam diante do rei.
- The subjects kneeled before the king.
- (figuratively, takes a reflexive pronoun, intransitive, or transitive with a or diante de) to kneel to (to accept defeat; to accept someone’s superiority)
- Conseguimos fazer nosso inimigo se ajoelhar.
- We were able to make our enemy kneel.
- Ela ajoelhou-se ao professor.
- She kneeled before her teacher.
- (transitive) to make someone kneel
- Ajoelhei os prisioneiros com um cassetete.
- I made the prisoners kneel with a truncheon.
- (figuratively, transitive, poetic) to subjugate (to forcibly impose obedience or servitude)
- Roma ajoelhou seus vizinhos.
- Rome subjugated its neighbours.
Conjugation of the Portuguese -ar verb ajoelhar