all in all
Audio (AU) (file)
- (modal, set phrase) Generally, all things considered
- All in all, it's not a bad little restaurant.
- There were twenty absentees all in all.
- (generally): for the most part, mostly, on the whole, altogether, in all, summa summarum; see also Thesaurus:mostly
- Everything that matters; the only thing of importance.
- His fiancee was his all in all
- 1828, Constantine Henry Phipps Marquess of Normanby, Yes and No: a Tale of the Day, page 12:
- Her mother had been all in all to her: she had never seemed to have any separate existence from that of her child.