- Rising, moving upward.
- Surpassing or controlling.
Rising, moving upward
Surpassing or controlling
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout § Translations.
Translations to be checked
ascendant (plural ascendants)
- Being in control; superiority, or commanding influence; ascendency.
- One man has the ascendant over another.
- 1672, William Temple, “An Essay upon the Original and Nature of Government. […]”, in Miscellanea. The First Part. [...], 3rd edition, London: […] Jacob Tonson, […], and Awnsham and John Churchill, […], published 1691, OCLC 1113628240, pages 91–92:
- [T]he Dominion of ſucceeding Favourites [...] occaſioned perpetual commotions in that State, and changes of the Miniſtry; and would certainly have produced thoſe in the Government too; if [Cardinal] Richelieu having gained the abſolute aſcendant in that Court, had not engaged in the deſigns at firſt of a War upon the Hugonots, and after that was ended, upon Spain; [...]
- 1769, William Robertson, History of the Reign of the Emperor Charles V:
- Chievres had acquired over the mind of the young monarch the ascendant not only of a tutor, but of a parent.
- An ancestor (antonym of descendant)
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Ayliffe to this entry?)
- (usu. followed by to) A royal heir assuming (a place of power)
- Given his father’s ghastly demise, one would not expect such glee from the ascendant to his throne.
- Ascent; height; elevation.
- (astrology) The horoscope, or that degree of the ecliptic which rises above the horizon at the moment of one's birth; supposed to have a commanding influence on a person's life and fortune.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Burke to this entry?)
being in control
ascendant m (plural ascendants)
- (astrology) ascendant
- supremacy, ascendancy
- L'équipe adverse a repris l'ascendant du match. ― The opposing team regained the supremacy of the match.
- (genealogy) ancestor, forefather, progenitor
- “ascendant” in Trésor de la langue française informatisé (The Digitized Treasury of the French Language).