- Freedom from mental disturbance; imperturbability, dogged indifference.
- When the Pyrrhonians say, that ataraxy is the chiefe felicitie, which is the immobilitie of judgement, their meaning is not to speake it affirmatively […].
- 1973, Patrick O'Brian, HMS Surprise:
- There was no longer any need for fortitude: he felt nothing at present and there was no point in artificial ataraxy.
- 1993, Will Self, My Idea Of Fun:
- I was nonplussed, I stared at my teacher, never before had his swollen face seemed so replete with indifference, stone ataraxy.
the freedom from mental disturbance; imperturbability, dogged indifference