- Rhymes: -eɪʃən
- The act or process of augmenting.
- (heraldry) A particular mark of honour, granted by the sovereign in consideration of some noble action, or by favour; and either quartered with the family arms, or on an escutcheon or canton.
- (medicine) A surgical procedure to enlarge a body part, as breast augmentation.
- (medicine) The stage of a disease during which symptoms increase or continue.
- (music) A compositional technique where the composer lengthens the melody by lengthening its note values.
- (Scotland, law) An increase of stipend obtained by a parish minister by an action raised in the Court of Teinds against the titular and heritors.
the act or process of augmenting
in heraldry: a particular mark of honour
medicine: a surgical procedure to enlarge a body part, as breast augmentation
medicine: the stage of a disease during which symptoms increase or continue
music: a compositional technique
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout § Translations.
- The Manual of Heraldry, Fifth Edition, by Anonymous, London, 1862, online at 
augmentation f (plural augmentations)