- (transitive) To cause to become awake.
- She awakened him by ringing the bell.
- (transitive, figuratively) To bring into action (something previously dormant); to stimulate.
- Awaken your entrepreneurial spirit!
- We hope to awaken your interest in our programme.
- (intransitive) To stop sleeping.
- Each morning he awakens with a smile in his face.
- Rare passive participle of awake.
- 1665 Robert Hooke, Micrographia
- [This ant] I ſuffered to lye above an hour in the Spirit; and after I had taken it out, and put its body and legs into a natural poſture, remained moveleſs about an hour; but then , upon a ſudden, as if it had been awaken out of a drunken ſleep, it ſuddenly reviv'd and ran away...
- (stop sleeping): fall asleep
transitive: to cause to become awake
transitive: to cause to become conscious
intransitive: to stop sleeping