- (sometimes capitalized) association football (soccer).
- 2014 November 14, Stephen Halliday, “Scotland 1-0 Republic of Ireland: Maloney the hero”, in The Scotsman:
- Amid all the fevered anticipation of this fixture, few would have expected to witness an aesthetically pleasing example of the beautiful game.
- 1990, Fauzi Omar, "Cheers to Kedah But Not At All to Fifa," New Straits Times (Malaysia), 18 Dec., p. 32:
- After watching Saturday's final, don't you agree that soccer is still the beautiful game that Pelé called it?
- (Canada) ice hockey.
- Always preceded by the.