- Having difficulty breathing; gasping.
- That makes one hold one's breath (with excitement etc.).
2017 March 14, Stuart James, “Leicester stun Sevilla to reach last eight after Kasper Schmeichel save”, in the Guardian:
- By that stage Sevilla were down to 10 men and Jorge Sampaoli, their manager, had been sent to the stands as a breathless encounter started to spiral out of control.
- 1934, Frank Richards, The Magnet, The Mystery of the Vaults
- The plane buzzed on at a breathless speed. Bob had been in a plane before, and he had no fear. Indeed, but for the strange circumstances, he would have enjoyed that breathless rush through space.
- Not breathing; apparently dead.
- Having no wind; still, calm or airless.
having difficulty breathing; gasping
that makes one hold one's breath
not breathing; apparently dead